Monday, December 28, 2009

Sid Bolotin gives us "Four Questions"

“I have four questions,” stated the man as he sat before his teacher.

“Proceed,” the teacher responded softly.

“Who am I?”

“Who do you think you are?” replied the teacher.

“Well, I’m me,” answered the man.

“And, just who is me?” asked the teacher.

“Me. I’m me. That’s who I am.”

“And, once again, who, or what is ‘me’?” continued the teacher.

“I don’t really know. That’s why I’m asking you. You’re my teacher.”

“Hmm,” replied the teacher, “I don’t know either. What’s your second question?”

Slightly taken aback, the man asked, “Where did I come from?”

“Where do you think you came from?” was the teacher’s quick response.

“I’m not sure…from my mother and father?” the man mumbled.

“Really?” retorted the teacher. “That simple? Your body parts did manifest from their physical joining. But where was the ‘you’, the ‘me’ that you claim to be before there was a body?”

“I don’t know. How could there be a ‘me’ before there was a physical body? Where would ‘me’ reside?”

“I don’t know,” the teacher said. “Next question?”

“Okay, let’s try this,” the man sighed. “Where am I going? What happens to ‘me’ when my body dies?”

“I don’t know. Fourth question?

The man sagged heavily in the chair and whispered, “Why? Why is this happening? Why all this birthing followed by its inevitable dying?”

The teacher gazed silently at his pupil, pressed his palms together in front of his chest, bowed his head, and announced, “I don’t know. God doesn’t answer ‘why’ questions.”

No comments: